Sunday, February 14, 2010

be gone demon

my dad just called & gave me the rundown of the history of valentines day. st valentines day, for those in the know.

what a sweet man. i'm glad he's my valentine.


on this day of love, i am hungover & tired & generally cloudy but here's an amazing valentine from the 1880s




my favorite angel is the little queen bee right in the front. i bet there's a spot from him on rupaul's drag race.


a poem for the day

aint love funny

i take my heart to the sun & it's become transparent

a filter

a gel

shine any light i see through this light of mine & every place is colored a me-colored color

i fold it, carry it in my jacket, in my purse, wherever it fits.

fold & unfold & refold & photocopies make it spread

aint no one eaten this paper heart yet

aint no one thrown it away

aint no one folded it into a paper airplane & made it soar over the earth

aint no one exchanged it like money or a check

aint no one but me remember the shape & the size by touch

i love this funny heart, beating weakly in my pocket

rhythm life pumping blood pumping good

it unfolds & swallows people whole, uncovers itself & gets blown around like the most beautiful cloud there could ever be

dont take my heart

you cant cage this heart

it may be small but its mighty & its afraid

you cant ever hold this heart

because this heart only has one life, one shape, one time to be & its only home is my hands

stand back, take your look & feel free to touch

but dont take

just give the gift of recognition & memorize its tempo

and sing it softly, steadily back

No comments: