Monday, February 16, 2009

happy prezzzzz day


my father once told me, during a particularly painful time for me, about a letter abraham lincoln wrote to a woman who had lost her husband in the civil war. the entirety of the letter is as follows:

'In this sad world of ours, sorrow comes to all, and it often comes with bitter agony. Perfect relief is not possible, except with time. You cannot now believe that you will ever feel better. But this is not true. You are sure to be happy again. Knowing this, truly believing it, will make you less miserable now. I have had enough experience to make this statement.'

- Abraham Lincoln.

to this day it makes me feel much lighter during dark times.

although so moving and germane, i'm not sure if it's so much his words as it is a perfect example of a person's capacity and potential for love, compassion, and relentless humanity. it always inspires me to give people a little more space to breathe; you never know what their experience is. it also gives me heart that i too am allowed to live a little more humanly than i sometimes let myself.

happy day off everyone. i hope it was wonderful.

No comments: